appMobi gives developers ‘the gift that keeps on giving’ with open sourcing of its key HTML5 technologies
SAN FRANCISCO – MobilityWire® – November 25, 2011
In the first ever Black Friday promotion specifically for mobile application developers, HTML5 powerhouse and open Web proponent, appMobi (www.appmobi.com), today made available a host of open source code at http://www.appmobi.com/opensource for the development of mobile applications. appMobi aims to accelerate the industry’s move to HTML5 and the company believes open sourcing its considerable HTML5 development technology will serve to fast-track this effort. Included in the source code appMobi opened-up today are the company’s cross-platform XDK, DirectCanvas, and the game-changing “mobiUs” Web App Browser.
“appMobi believes that no one company should have control over what anyone can say or do on a mobile handset or tablet, and that soon the mobile Web, will be ‘THE’ Web,” says Sam Abadir, appMobi founder and CTO. “Opening up these technologies to developers not only makes the mobile Web as limitless as the imagination; it will also power the HTML5 revolution.”
appMobi’s newly open sourced technologies include:
- Augmented Reality – Turns the camera view on beneath the web page so that the page can superimpose images on top of “reality”
- Bar Code/QR Code Scanner
- DirectCanvas – enhanced graphic rendering for 2D games
- Display – Better viewport for consistent visual rendering on Android and iOS devices, and orientation locking, disabling auto-shutoff of display, etc.
- MediaPlayer – Multi-channel sound for games, Shoutcast streaming audio player, and video playback of locally cached files for more seamless playback of things like offline videos inside web apps
- mobiUs – Unique Web App Browser allowing HTML5 Web apps to perform just like native apps
- Offline Caching – Web app archives for more efficient/faster downloads over mobile, and Dynamic Cache to allow the changing/storage of individual files instead of having to redownload the full web app if there is just a single file change
“appMobi is an advocate for the open Web,” adds Abadir. “By shifting from native apps to Web-based apps the transfer of power is moving from corporations to developers. Offering open sourced APIs will promote the migration of app development to HTML5 and has the potential to improve the overall mobile Web experience through faster downloads, better offline usage and enhanced mobile gaming experiences.”
This first-of-its-kind Black Friday promotion is specifically tailored for HTML5 developers. These software projects will join appMobi’s previous open source releases at the GitHub repository. Download the open source code today directly from appMobi’s website at http://www.appmobi.com/opensource.
appMobi is a registered trademark of appMobi Inc. iOS and related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Apple Computer Corp. All other trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners including: Adobe, Flash, Android, Google, Chrome.
# # #
Follow MobilityWire news releases on Twitter:
Short URL for this press release online: http://mopr.co/tbyoiL