On the second anniversary of its debut, BOLT 2.5 adds Facebook video support, increased HTML 5 compliance and geolocation support
BARCELONA, Spain and MARLBOROUGH, Mass. – MobilityWire® – February 14, 2011
Bitstream Inc. (NASDAQ: BITS) creators of the award winning BOLT™ mobile browser, announced today the release of BOLT 2.5, with new features sure to please the more than 18 million users who have already downloaded the popular app and OEMs who have made BOLT the default browser on their handsets. BOLT 2.5 brings Facebook video support, new sharing capabilities and a host of user interface enhancements to the popular mobile browser, making BOLT’s browsing experience even more enjoyable and easier to navigate on mobile phones of all types. OEMs globally will appreciate BOLT 2.5’s WebKit-based cloud computing infrastructure that integrates easily with carriers’ billing and OSS systems, and significantly reduces infrastructure costs with its best-in-class data compression.
Bitstream is showcasing its mobile browsing technologies, including the BOLT mobile browser and the BOLT SDK, in booth 2D23 at Mobile World Congress 2011 global conference and exposition held this week in Barcelona, February 14 to 17. To arrange a meeting with Bitstream at the show, contact email@example.com.
“Exactly 24 months ago we released BOLT to the public to show the mobile industry that every mobile phone has the potential to be a powerful and utilitarian Internet device,” said Anna Magliocco-Chagnon, CEO of Bitstream. “Today handset manufacturers and wireless operators around the world are preloading BOLT as the default browser on their mobile phones in an effort to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience to their customers and subscribers. BOLT’s progression over the past 2 years not only validates Bitstream’s objective to engineer a best-in-class cloud computing browser that enables any type of handset, even entry level devices, to deliver a powerful Internet experience that far exceeds any phone’s native browsing and resource potential, but also illustrates our success in offering OEMs a mobile browser with a WebKit based cloud computing infrastructure that is easy to integrate and significantly reduces cost.”
World’s Most Fully Featured Mobile Browser, Gets Even Better
BOLT has earned a reputation as the most fully featured mobile browser available, and with the 2.5 release BOLT enhances its already robust mobile browsing capabilities:
- Geolocation Support – BOLT 2.5’s geolocation feature allows a user with a GPS enabled device to pass latitude and longitude information to location enabled websites through the browser.
- Facebook Videos Support – BOLT, which offers the broadest support for streaming video in a mobile browser, now supports Facebook videos in addition to its support for the most popular Flash based video sites and all HTML5 video sites.
- Widget Availability on Home page – BOLT widgets are now available on the BOLT browser home page making it easier for people using any type of mobile phone to take part in the mobile app revolution. BOLT 2.5’s widget gallery includes weather, Wikipedia, and dictionary widgets, along with a Twitter widget and a Facebook widget.
- New Advanced Desktop Features – Along with the ability to perfectly render Web pages as they were meant to be seen from a PC, BOLT also offers easily switchable tabbed browsing, password manager, advanced inline text entry and editing, and now copy and paste improvements and a better address and search dialog on all pages.
- Download manager upgrades - BOLT 2.5 also features an improved download manager, allowing users to maintain download history even after exiting the browser and resume last download after browser re-launch.
- Polished User Interface – BOLT 2.5 includes many improvements to the design and layout of the browser including changes to the masthead, improvements to favorites, history and feeds selection, character entry enhancements, clickable icons, improved menu structure and displaying of RSS lists.
Webkit 5 Enhances BOLT’s HTML5 Compliance
Already the only WebKit-based cloud computing browser, the 2.5 release of BOLT is upgraded to Webkit 5, giving it the best HTML5 compliance of any browser in its class. Some of the largest online content providers and Web technology companies such as Google and Apple are embracing the use of the HTML5 standard, eliminating the need for third party add-ons, plug-ins and separate media players that have created obstacles for viewing and listening to streaming media via the mobile Web. BOLT’s increased compliance with HTML5 allows handset manufacturers and mobile network operators to offer streaming media on the growing number of website designed for new mobile computing platforms such as the Apple iPad and Google Android tablets on the widest range of mobile devices.
For a full list of features or to download BOLT 2.5 for free visit www.boltbrowser.com.
Licensed by handset manufacturers and wireless operators around the world, the BOLT mobile browser delivers PC-style browsing with advanced features such as tabbed browsing, streaming audio and video, and integrated social networking in a relatively small application that is also the industry’s most feature rich mobile browser. BOLT is available for Java ME, BREW and BlackBerry devices and has already been installed on thousands of different handset models. BOLT’s WebKit based cloud computing infrastructure integrates easily with carriers’ billing and OSS systems, and significantly reduces infrastructure costs with its best-in-class data compression. The BOLT SDK allows any service provider the ability to create custom Web-enabled applications that run on the widest possible number of mobile phones. Wireless operators, handset OEMs and service providers should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about BOLT.
Bitstream Inc. develops software technologies and applications for the graphic art and mobile communications industries. Bitstream’s award-winning fonts and font technologies enable device manufacturers and application developers to render the highest quality text in any language, on any device, at any resolution. The company’s MyFonts brand is the world’s leading provider of fonts to consumers. Bitstream’s Pageflex brand enables marketers to easily produce customized communications in print, email, and online. The company’s latest offering is the BOLT mobile browser, which has been installed by millions of users worldwide since its release in February 2009. For more information visit www.bitstream.com.
# # #
Short URL for this press release online: http://mopr.us/iv